As with any home improvement project, you can choose whether to do it yourself or to hire a professional instead. Often, it takes an experienced eye to decide on the best lighting fixtures to use to highlight the elements of your garden, and although doing it yourself may mean the initial landscape lighting costs are less, choosing to do it yourself may end up costing you more time and money.
Benefits of Hiring a Professional
- A professional will help you to develop a certain look for your space
- Keeps your project on budget
- Saves you time on research
- Helps to avoid costly repairs
- A professional may better understand lighting systems and wattage needs
Although hiring a professional makes your landscape lighting project more straightforward, with a bit of research and time, doing it yourself is very possible.
When starting a DIY landscape lighting project you should bear the following in mind:
- When it comes to path lighting, remember less is more – you’re not installing runway lights for an airplane landing!
- Be sure to clean the surfaces of your lights and check for burned out bulbs at least once a year
- Add color and texture to your garden by placing lighting near plants
- Don’t simply light your home’s exterior – this can look unnatural and bleak
- Create shadows by placing spotlights in front of your house close to the foundation
Have you started your own DIY landscape lighting project? We’d love to hear your results!